Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Chicken Pot Pie Soup (Lightened Up)



I don't know what it's like where you guys are, but down here in Alabama (visiting the good ol' fam!)  it is cold & nasty out! The cold makes me want to stay inside ALL day, bundle up, watch Netflix & NEVER leave the couch! However, the gym calls & I have to run out to grab a few groceries to make something yummy for dinner tonight...and what would be better to kick these cold day shivers to the curb than a hearty soup?! No one "honestly" likes a "healthy" soup. Or at least I'm not really crazy about them...oh, you know the ones... Progresso, Healthy Choice, & other 'lightened-up' brands that are filling but lack the flavor. Don't get me wrong though, & no harm is meant towards voicing my opinion on those brands, because I do eat them from time to time... the New England Clam Chowder Progresso soup is a favorite of mine! But, me, myself though, I like FLAVOR! As Guy Fieri would say, "TAKE ME TO FLAVOR TOWN!" Haha! I do not cook like my mom or any of the ladies in my family for that matter. (and it drives them crazy...) They cook that southern home-cookin'... You know...Meat, Potatoes, Beans, & cornbread. Nothing wrong with that but I love Italian, sushi, yummy casseroles, & "out of the box" foods. I am also a spicer... I almost always use a mixture of whatever spices I think will be good in my cooking. One of my favorite things to cook with has to be GARLIC! Not only is it really good for you, it can give a lot of flavor to whatever dish you're using it in. I have a whole cabinet of spices & I wouldn't have it any other way! My family however, are pretty much Salt & Pepper type of peeps! Haha. I like to think of myself as an undiscovered FoodNetwork chef! I seriously think the movie Ratatouille is my life in Disney format. Minus the mouse tho... I don't think that would be as cute in reality as it is in cartoonism!...(is that even a word?!)... Ok, but seriously though, I wanted something flavorful & comforting! Something to warm me through & through and this recipe from Skinnytaste did NOT disappoint! I did use extra spices, kinda did some of the recipe steps in my own way, & because I am eating healthier was out of them, I omitted the potatoes. It was still AMAZING tho! There is nothing I love more than a homemade Chicken Pot Pie, but this kinda takes the cake (or the 'soup', whichever fits best)! I know Mr.Hooah must surely miss ME my cooking, so when I get back I am going to make a big ol' pot of this yummy goodness for dinner because I am positive he will love this as much as my family & I did!
Enjoy & if you try this, let me know what you think! 
-XO


Chicken Pot Pie Soup
2TBSP cornstarch
2c. water 
4c. fat free milk
2 large celery stalk, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
8oz. baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
2 chicken bouillons cubes
Black pepper & Salt, to taste
Pinch of thyme
10oz. frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed small
16oz. cooked chicken breast, diced small
***I used a dash of Mrs.Dash Onion & Herb seasoning & A little bit of Beer Can Chicken seasoning..SO glad I did because it kicked the flavor up a notch!***


  • Create a slurry by combining 1/2 cup of the cold water with cornstarch in a bowl & whisk until well blended. Set aside.
  • Pour remaining water and milk into a large pot and slowly bring to a boil. Add celery, onion, mushrooms, chicken bullion, thyme, pepper & salt, frozen vegetables and return to a boil. Partially cover and simmer on low until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes. 
  • Remove lid, add potatoes and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add chicken, & slowly stir in slurry. Cook another 2-3 minutes, until soup thickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment