Friday, September 5, 2014

The Cold Kicker Soup! (aka Mexican Chicken & Rice Soup)

The weather is in full chaotic swing...cold, mild, completely freezing! With that being said, I know it's the "time of year" that I catch some sort of cold & I want to share my secret with all of you. What can I say besides "My IMMUNE system hates me!" Lol. Usually when I get sick, it takes me forever to start feeling better because my immune system isn't exactly top of the line. Once when I was sick, my Gran-Gran told my Aunt Sherry she should grab me a cup of Chicken Soup from the Mexican restaurant in town because it always made her feel better...And she did...It was really good & seriously made me feel 10x better!!! So, from that day on, anytime I got sick, the soup did the trick. Since moving up here to NC, Mexican cuisine is good & all, but when it came to getting sick & Mr.Hooah (being THE BEST husband in the whole entire world tee-hee) going to get me the soup, only ONE place even knew what he was asking about. Sadly, the soup wasn't as good as what I had back home though. I told Mr.Hooah for $7 a cup, that I could make a whole pot for about that with what I had on hand & it'd be way better! So, not to toot my own horn or anything, but, MOVE OVER Mexican Restaurants, Chef CiCi's mastered this! Haha. This soup is AMAZING...It isn't a heavy soup but it warms you through & anytime Mr.Hooah & I, or anyone I know is feeling icky, I put on a pot of this "miracle" soup...Ok, so maybe it doesn't really have mystical powers that can cure major illnesses or make miracles happen, but it sure will make you feel better when the common cold is floating amuck, just ask Mr.Hooah(who also just got over the flu, bless him)! 
I hope that you'll try this recipe even if you aren't sick because it is just too yummy!
-XO for now! 

Mexican Chicken & Rice Soup
(aka The Cold Kicker Soup)
 photo IMG_8636_zps90f6abc3.jpg
1 pot of water with 3TBSP. Chicken Base Paste
(Or 3 boxes of Chicken Stock) 
3 Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless
2-3 TBSP. minced garlic
1 onion, roughly diced
Handful of Cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, roughly chopped
2TBSP. EVOO
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 can mild Rotel
1 1/2 c. Brown Rice, minute rice is best
1 lime sliced or lime juice 
Dash of Webster's Beer Can Chicken Seasoning
(or in my case 5! we love this stuff!)
  • Add water & chicken paste(if not using the boxed chicken stock), EVOO, garlic, chicken, & onions. Bring to a boil. Add in seasoning, salt & pepper, & Rotel. Cover with a vented lid (if you don't have a vented lid, you can just put a lid almost all the way on) & let simmer for an hour. The longer it cooks, the better it tastes though!
  • Remove the chicken from pot & shred. Add back to soup. Add in rice & cook according to package. When Rice is done, add in diced avocado & cilantro & let cook another 4-5minutes. 
  • Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over soup or sprinkle a little bottled lime juice over top. Good ither way! Eat, Enjoy, & kick that cold's butt! haha! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment