Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Veggie Meatballs

OH EMM GHEE... getting Mr.Hooah to eat veggies is as easy as trying to give Yoki (our demonic cat) medication. He scrunches his nose up like a 4 year old whose mother tells him to eat his vegetables or he won't get dessert... Me though? Oh I love vegetables. I pretty much love all veggies & fruits, well, except mangoes...I know I do not have to explain myself to you guys, but yes, yes, I do...Mangoes, for some odd awful reason, taste like the smell of armpits to me, so I refuse. LOL, please tell me I am not the only one person who thinks this! I don't know why I think that but it's what I think, I know, I probably sound like a crazy person, but it's true! I always try to find new ways to sneak in veggies & this is one awesome new way I found & thought I would share because I know there are some picky little eaters out there who are much more picky than my Mr.Hooah! I found this recipe on pinterest & wrote it down, stashed it away in my cook book (which consists of a binder full of sheet protected notebook paper recipes lol) & recently ran across it, it had a couple of other ones along with it, but I have only tried this one & the Spicy Honey one. I must say, I have never just been one of those people who eats meatballs as a "meal".. We have a friend who is a single father & he makes "porcupine meatballs" (meatballs with rice mixed in) with mashed potatoes & mac-n-cheese for his daughter & she absolutely LOVES them. I suppose you could do this, but for us, I chose to go Italian & toss them in with some pasta. Mr.Hooah had ordered a "make your own pasta bowl" from Olive Garden a few weeks ago & I can't lie, for it to have been sausage meatballs & alfredo, it was DELICIOOO! So I thought I would attempt to recreate something similar to this & added crushed red pepper into the meatball mixture to make it spicy & give it that kick that the OG meatballs had. Let's just say, for this to be a thrown together meal, Mr.Hooah LOVED it & even went as far to say that THIS (amongst all the other delicious meals that I make, he had to choose this one *le sigh* haha) is his favorite meal now! You can't even taste the veggies inside ither! And because they're made with turkey & baked, it doesn't get much healthier than that & I am positive that the calories are MUCH LESS than those of OG! So, MOVE OVER Olive Garden, there's a new Italian Chef in town & she doesn't charge an arm & leg for pasta bowls! Haha. Ok, maybe that was a little too much...
 *awkward silence
Hope you guys enjoy this & if you make it let me know how you like it!
-XO!

Veggie Meatballs
 (Makes 48 Meatballs)
 photo IMG_02361_zps0439c491.jpg  
16oz. lean ground turkey
1 carrot, peeled & grated
1 zucchini, peeled & grated
1/2 c. Italian seasoned bread crumbs (I personally added in more, it was about a cup rather than half)
2 TBSP. ketchup
1 egg
1 TBSP. onion powder
1 TBSP. garlic powder 
1 tsp. salt 
1 tsp. pepper
**And for those of you who like spice, add in 1tsp. or more of crushed red pepper flakes!**
  • Preheat oven to 350'.. Line baking sheet with foil & set aside.
  • In large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix until combined but do not over mix (that will make your meatballs tough & nobody likes a tough meatball!) Using a tablespoon, scoop to portion & lightly form into balls.
  • Place on baking sheet, make sure they are not touching & bake 20 minutes or until brown. (Here is my tip...flip them half way through baking, then when the 20mins are up, I personally like to turn the broiler on HIGH & brown them a little more..just make sure to keep an eye on them so they don't burn! Also, we ate these over whole wheat penne pasta with a light alfredo sauce & it was bomb!)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Carrie-Eve for bringing your delish meatballs to the party! I featured you on my fb page. Please come again next week. Carrie, A Mother's Shadow

    ReplyDelete