Monday, December 7, 2015

Creamy Pasta with Sausage and Mustard Seeds

Ok guys, I want to start out by saying,
 "OMGGGG! WHAT IS UP WITH THIS WEATHER?!"

Like, REALLY, what the heck is going on? 

One day you can wear shorts out, the next day you need uggs and a sweater! 
North Carolina weather is so unpredictable! 
But I will take this spastic weather over all the usual rain we usually get! I will say that when it gets cold here that it actually gets freezing cold, which makes me want comfort food more than ever this time of year! 
For me, it usually starts around October... you know, the craving for some comfort foods and Thanksgiving type of foods. 

THE STRUGGLE IS SO REAL! 

Don't believe me, ask poor Mr.Hooah, Lol! He has to put up with all my indecisiveness of not knowing exactly what I want to eat... Bless him! 

I always keep an eye out for new recipes, it is a must as Mr.Hooah does not eat leftovers. And lately, I have discovered Coarse Mustard. I don't know what I have been doing with my life all these years without it! Seriously. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it on sandwiches and I have a recipe to make a cranberry jelly with it (odd combo, I know!) and it is super yummy! I have never honestly thought to put it into stuff like this pasta recipe I am about to share, but Emily, over at Emily Bites did and this recipe for Creamy Pasta with Sausage & Mustard Seeds is amazing! It is filling and the sausage in it kind of makes this fall along the lines of some yummy comfort food for me. It is definitely an unusual recipe, but that's what we like though right?

This recipe is surprisingly easy and doesn't take many ingredients. The mustard gives it a little something extra and we loved how well it all came together! It is actually a little healthier compared to most other pasta dishes you can make, which is a MAJOR plus to me! All the more reason to love this recipe!

 I hope you enjoy this one as much as we did, and I apologize in advance for the photo quality... I was too lazy to drag my camera out for the pics, does that make me a bad blogger? Lol.

-XO!

Creamy Pasta with Sausage & Mustard Seeds


1lb (16oz.) uncooked wheat pasta shells
2 tsp. EVOO
1 ½ lbs hot Italian turkey or chicken sausage, casings removed
3oz. fresh baby spinach, chopped (about a half a standard salad bag, add more if desired, I used frozen chopped spinach that I popped into the microwave as per box directions then drained it)
¾ c. dry white wine
¾ c. fat-free half and half
3 TBSP. grainy mustard (I used Grey Poupon Harvest Coarse Ground Mustard)
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 c. thinly sliced or chopped fresh basil (I used a few tsp. of dried basil)
  • Cook pasta in salted water according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
  • While the water is boiling for step one, place the oil in a large skillet or saute pan and bring over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook for about five minutes or until meat is cooked through, breaking it up into small pieces with a spoon as it cooks. Add the fresh spinach and stir in. Cook for another minute until spinach wilts.
  • Add the wine to the sausage and reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir together, releasing any brown bits from the bottom of the pan and cook for another 5 minutes until the wine is reduced by half. Add the half and half, mustard and crushed red pepper. Stir together and simmer for another 2 minutes.
  • Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the reserved pasta and basil until well combined. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment