Thursday, December 3, 2015

Spinach and Parmesan Orzo

Ok guysss, after all that Thanksgiving goodness, I needed a lighten up! 

I am a couple of episodes behind on Grey's Anatomy...
I know, what the hell have I been doing, right?!

 So, I wanted to make something yummy for dinner and something somewhat healthy to go with these nice steaks Mr.Hooah picked up, to enjoy while I catch up on Grey's!
I have had the steaks marinating away since yesterday in this super easy-peasy Honey-Lime Marinade (it is not just for chicken!) and absolutely CANNOT wait for Mr.Hooah to grill those babies up!

I was making out our 2 week menu plan and I moseyed on over to Emily Bites  
for a little inspiration because I thought my list needed a little oomph! 
Which is how I found this absolutely delicious recipe for her Spinach and Parmesan Orzo.
And as always, I was NOT disappointed! 

Not only does it plate pretty but it is SO TASTY and HEALTHY
I absolutely LOVE adding spinach into any dish I can... Mr.Hooah on the other hand, he is picky... so the whole spinach thing is not only for me, but "sneaking it in" actually helps him realize that it can be tasty and that it isn't just a yucky pile of steamed spinach...

 Ok, let's be honest here, I hated spinach growing up too but now that I am older and there are so many new recipes to incorporate it into, and I'm LOVIN' it!

With Orzo, a little goes a lonnng way! 
So it doesn't take much and believe it or not, orzo is actually cheap! 
You can actually mix in a bit of milk, a bit of shredded cheese, and guess what?! 
IT TASTES LIKE MAC & CHEESE!
Yes people, you read that right, macaroni & cheese

I have to say that Mr.Hooah actually liked this recipe and I am glad because so do I. 
I actually plan on adding this to our menu rotation! And I always have frozen chopped spinach in the freezer just in case, also orzo in the cabinet, so this is something easy that can be thrown together whenever I need a quick side dish!

 If you haven't (as I have mentioned before) visited Emily Bites, please do so because I promise you'll love her recipes as much as I do!

-XO!
Spinach and Parmesan Orzo 
1 TBSP. light butter (I used Move Over Butter)
1 c. dry whole wheat orzo (regular orzo is fine too)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. fat-free chicken broth 
4 oz. fresh chopped spinach (or 1/2 a pack of frozen chopped spinach, thawed)
1 ½ oz. freshly grated Parmesan (I used grated light-parm in the can & it worked fine too!)
½ tsp. dried basil
½ tsp. Italian seasoning
Salt & Pepper, to taste.

  • In a large skillet or saute pan, bring the butter over medium high heat until melted. Add the dry orzo and stir to coat. Cook for about 2mins until some pieces of the orzo begin to brown. Add the minced garlic and stir together. Cook for an additional minute or so until garlic is fragrant.
  • Add the broth to the pan and bring to a boil (mine was basically boiling right away). Cover the pan and reduce heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer for about 14-15 minutes until the broth is absorbed and the orzo is tender. Stir in the chopped spinach and continue stirring for 1-2 mins until the spinach is wilted. Add the Parmesan, basil, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper, stir together until thoroughly combined. 
Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment