Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Powder Room Redo

I am SO thrilled that my powder room is FINALLY finished! This was definitely a challenge...I must tell you, Mr. Hooah & I are complete opposites when it comes to...well, I'm not EVER supposed to speak this word, but, "spending"...so, when we moved from our rental, the previous renters had left some junk, so when we moved in we only kept what we wanted which happened to be the only things worth keeping: a well used charcoal grill & a wooden ladder that seemed ok because we never used it to know otherwise, until we moved into the house we just bought...I think somewhere between up the ladder, almost falling off the ladder(SEVERAL times), down the ladder, & all the odd uncomfortable positions I found myself in while on the ladder for pretty much 4 days...that rickety @#$^&*^%!  rack of wooden steps & I, developed a beautiful love hate relationship. (MOSTLY HATE!) Thats where the 'I don't think we need to spend $$$ on a NEW ladder when this one is just fine babe, its not falling apart, its just got character'...Pshhhhh! I'm LUCKY I got away without any broken bones! If that darn thing had character, then I'd compare it to Dopey from Snow White! lol. I got my inspiration from a photo a hot minute ago, it was a room by Lilly Pulitzer with cursive writing all over the walls like this:
Photobucket
Since I saw that pic, I've wanted to do this to a room in my house for like, EVER! So since we finally bought a place, I'm finally able! Our bedroom colors are black & white damask & I'm completely freakin IN LOVE with the mayor's office from the show 'Once Upon A Time' on ABC, so I wanted to do the tree/forest stencil in our bedroom to match up & kinda still do my own version of the mayor's office...but put your breaks on....I wanted to work from the inside out: our bathroom, the powder area right outside it, & then our bedroom last. So when I finally got to the powder area, we decided we wanted it to match the bedroom since it was an open-connected area. So we painted both the bedroom & powder area a custom grey color I had mixed & then my BRIGHT idea!!! Paint the powder area like the pic above! It was a brilliant idea atm, however, after 5 repaints of grey before I finally got the feel of the brush & my calligraphy from highschool art class finally broke through, it quickly became a seemingly BAD idea lol! **KEYNOTE: it is WAY harder to free-hand calligraphy with a paint brush than a pen!!!** So after 4 days of tediously freehanding with a small brush, from about 6pm-3am due to sporadic insomnia, stopping & starting, for 4 days...with quotes from my 3 FAVORITE girls: Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, & Coco Chanel... I'm VERY proud to show it off...this is what I ended up with! Oh & a bad case of triple carpal tunnel! haha(:
Before:
Photobucket
Sorry it isnt a good pic, this was the before, before we even bought the place lol
After:
I still have some trim touching up to do(:



Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I scored this crystal chandelier on craigslist for $25 & gave it the cleaning it deserved...Mr.Hooah even managed to install it himself, WITHOUT burning the house down haha!  
Photobucket
Photobucket
pr12
pr13

7 comments:

  1. Carrie: You are one courageous lady to tackle this...and you stuck with your dream to the finish! I am loving that 'fancy nancy' chandelier..you sure hit a home run with that lighting fixture. THANK YOU for linking and sharing.
    Jonell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ikr, isnt it just all vintage chic? it just screams marilyn monroe's: a diamond is a girls bestfriend! (:

      Delete
  2. WOW! The gray for the walls is incredible. So chic and stylish. I am loving it. Then, your bathroom, amazing! Love your inspiration and your execution. You are already making yourself a beautiful home...and glad to hear you survived unharmed, you need a new ladder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ty so much, it def took a while to finish, the handwriting was tedious & i had to do one swish or swoosh at a time lol & YES, new ladder PLEASE! i do not plan on getting back on that thing thats for sure haha!

      Delete
  3. TOO STINKIN' CUTE! Way to go girl... I have a half bath that I'll walk in, stare at, think hmm... I gotta do something with that... then shut the door (vicious cycle since we've bought the place!). I may have to try this. I'm just worried my painting wouldn't be as pretty as your's! It's adorable!!

    Hugs-
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be super cute in ur 1/2 bath! I do that to our guest bathroom, lol, I shut the door & leave it closed because it has yet to be decorated!

      Delete
  4. Oh my word! That looks incredible! I want to see your version of Regina's office when you get that finished. Serious style!!

    ReplyDelete